Unable to launch the program with a roaming profile

Report a bug or a problem.
sushi

Unable to launch the program with a roaming profile

Post by sushi »

Hi,

I'd like to mention an important problem that occured to me.

For test purposes, I set up a Windows account with a roaming profile (and without domain controller by the way: the profile was just stored on a net share). As soon as I tried to open The GodFather, the only thing I got is a critical message box in which I don't really remember the error message but anyway it wasn't so explicit except a problem related to a variable named "rfDesktop". Even when I launched the program as administrator or after reinstalling it, I still got this critical error which prevent me from opening the program.

Unfortunately I can't investigate any longer since I no longer have this roaming profile now but I'm going to create another one by the end of the month. However if you want to do some tests, just create normally (through the GUI) a new Windows account and before logging in for the first time, launch lusrmgr.msc and set up a profile path (which is simply a net share). You may have troubles to log in with the new account because of the file permissions. If this happens, just allow temporarily everyone to read and write in the net share. By the way, I recommend you to host your net share on a Windows system. For some reasons it's better and that can avoid some additional problems. Despite all those instructions, you may have a last problem to log in with the account. In this case I'll tell you how to solve this last problem (usually repaired via the GPO).

Thank you for reading.

Hope this will be fixed soon. Good luck. O0

PS : I forgot to mention that I ran Windows 7 Professional SP1

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unable to launch the program with a roaming profile

Post by jtclipper »

The tree view component tries to default it's root to your current desktop and possibly fails to get a valid value.
You can edit tgf.ini and use another value for the root option, for example root=C:\,
You must try to find out if the user variables are set properly, do a quick and dirt SET command in a dos box and check out the HOMEPATH value and possibly the other user related paths.

sushi

Re: Unable to launch the program with a roaming profile

Post by sushi »

Okay, thanks. I'll try this. 8)
Thanks for having solved my problem. I'll be able to use The GodFather with roaming profiles now. Very useful. ;D
See you.