Unable to write to C:\Program Files\The Godfather\tgf.ini

Report a bug or a problem.
scuttle613

Unable to write to C:\Program Files\The Godfather\tgf.ini

Post by scuttle613 »

Installed under Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1.

The above error message occurs after a configuration change, e.g. trying to make a change in the grid colors (default is hard to read) or remove the grid colors altogether. 

The error message occurred after both an installation of version .80 over a long used (and wonderful) installation of version .72 and it occurs after an uninstallation of the previous version and a clean installation. 

The tgf.ini is present and dated 09/29/10.  If I right click on that file, click Properties and then the Security tab, the file has all permissions except Special Permissions and it is not Read-Only.

If you need any other information to debug the problem or if there is something I can do (at least temporarily) to make the configuration changes work, please let me know.

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unable to write to C:\Program Files\The Godfather\tgf.ini

Post by jtclipper »

You have to log on as a user in the Administrators group in Windows Vista and above to be able to write to a simple ini file.
Alternatively you can run the program as administrator. It’s not me doing this its windows behavior.
Try it and let me know
Dimitris

KNAA

Post by KNAA »

Hi

First off all: Thanks for a great application!

Now to the problem: Since windows 95 Microsoft has encouraged application developers to use user profile locations to store user/application settings. Starting from Vista, by default, it is no longer allowed to store user/application settings in the %ProgramFiles%\ folder.

For Windows 7 the ini-file is supposed to be stored at "%UserProfile%\Appdata\Local\", or even better: "%UserProfile%\Appdata\Roaming\", the last one following you across computers in a local domain network.

This should be fixed in your next version. Have a look at the SHGetKnownFolderPath Function.

For an immediate workaround: As administrator:
  • Go to the folder: "%ProgramFiles%\The GodFather"
  • Right-click on tgf.ini and select Properties
  • Go to the Security tab and select "Users" in the "Group or user names:" list
  • Check for "Full control" in the "Permissions for Users" list
  • Click OK, and you're done

Regards

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

I dont want to spread the installation files of the program because I want to keep TGF a portable app without messing with different modes.
Dimitris

scuttle613

Post by scuttle613 »

Thank you.  I also second that The Godfather is an outstanding tagging program.

The workaround worked.  However, I would prefer to go back to previous beta version as this worked for my needs for a number of years.

Could someone please give me a link to where the previous beta can be downloaded as I would prefer to go back to that version?  I am unable to find that version by Google search.

ibegregg

Re: Unable to write to C:\Program Files\The Godfather\tgf.in

Post by ibegregg »

I had this problem in Windows 7 (64 bit). I fixed it by adding "write" file permissions to the tgf.ini file using Windows Explorer. Here's how:

Open the folder using Windows Explorer. Right click the tgf.ini file and click" Properties". Choose the "Security" tab. Click the "Edit" button, opening the "Permissions" dialog. Highlight the "Users" row and check the "Write" check box. Click Apply or OK to save.

This worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

williamshaker

Post by williamshaker »

thanks for sharing information
NOOR