Finding (and populating) Original Release Year of Tracks on Compilation Albums.

Main discussion forum
ElVeeJee

Finding (and populating) Original Release Year of Tracks on Compilation Albums.

Post by ElVeeJee »

Problem Description:
I have a lot of compilation collection albums.
They contain typical 20-100 different tracks from different artists (spread over a number of CDs).
(Albums like “The best of the Rock” etc. )
Over the last 20 Years of so, a lot’of these albums did occur. They all have an album release date (Like e.g. 2021).
(Which I typically maintain in the [YEAR] Tag.
What is missing in most (98%) of the cases , is the release dates of the actual tracks on the albums.
(Which are typically spread over a number of last decades in the 50s-60s-70s-80s,90s,00s,10s,20s) )
I want to have the original release year of the tracks in the [ORIGINAL YEAR] tag field.
This will allow me to have e.g. <Track>.<Artist> - <Title> (<Original Year>) as filename.
The problem is where to get the Original Release dates ?

Solution ?? Questions:
1. Has anyone in the community a good suggestion for a good datasource / database / Website to find these release years ? (Based on “Artist-Title“ as input data ?)
2. Because doing “manual” lookup action on the web are very hard to do and very time consuming if you have to execute them for thousands of items.
So in addition to (1) has someone in the community done some scripting to parse the info from one or more of such datasources ?

I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks for any suggestions or help on this.