Using Winamp in Windows 10

Main discussion forum
hopalongrock

Using Winamp in Windows 10

Post by hopalongrock »

It's a little bit long story

Introduction:
In mp3 properties in explorer I found "type" "URL: Winamp Command handler" instead if MPEG Layer 3 Audio File
I found something on net about Windows 10 default music player, so I changed it from Winamp to VLC, and back.
And I got back MPEG Layer 3 Audio File. OK

Now I go to Godfather:
I just now detected, that the Option - External player still E:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe, as it was 3 years ago on my old XP Machine (my new PC with Windows 10 is from 2017).
How could TGF start Winamp with this bad location? Maybe the Windows 10 will launch the default music player.
I changed it to the correct C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe.

Now for Ctrl O TGF always starts a new Winamp instance, and begins to play.
In command line Winamp always plays in the current winamp instance, no new instance started.

However in Row mode nothing happen, no playing (and no new window), only a short time blue throbber spinning.

In the topic in Bugs: "Playback from grid starts only after ~ 30 sec, Windows 10" you write
jtclipper wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:08 pm
In row mode a playlist file is created and executed behind the scenes (just in case you selected more than one file), other wise a single file is executed .
Maybe Winamp behaves differently between those two scenarios
Can I find somewhere this created playlist file? Maybe the playlist file is empty?

Do you have any idea about all this?

Thanks

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Using Winamp in Windows 10

Post by jtclipper »

The player you see in the options is used in the library module only so you can control Play/enqueue
When you click Open in the edit panel it just executes the file and the default windows handler takes care of the rest, it's basically default programs for the various file types.

Now when you select multiple files a playlist is created behind the scenes it's a Unicode one so that file names appear correctly on all machines/locales
The location is %localappdata%\temp\~tgfp.m3u8

hopalongrock

Post by hopalongrock »

Unfortunately, Windows 10 didn't open m3u8, only m3u files, but I managed to fix it, so tgf row mode works fine now,

I’m just mentioning if you’ve heard anything about it, most of the file extensions handled by Winamp is named in W10 as "URL: Winamp Command Handler", which was also the case for .mp3. I changed the default music app from Winamp to VLC and back, now it is named correctly as "MPEG Layer 3 Audio file".
I'm afraid I have to save Winamp and then install and reinstall it, and restore the required saved files.

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

I am pretty sure that it's not a problem with .m3u8 files and Windows10
unfortunately Winamp misbehaves with this OS

hopalongrock

Post by hopalongrock »

Now everything I use works properly and I hope it doesn’t go wrong again.