ID3 tag update

Main discussion forum
Tom Cat

ID3 tag update

Post by Tom Cat »

Hello, I'm new to this forum. Greetings to you all.

I have a problem. I hope it can be solved.

I use tgf 0.70 to arrange and rename my FLAC and mp3 files. I use the "manual edit panel" to straighten all the names from "Honey for the Bees" to "Honey For The Bees" (Alison Moyet) with capitals. Sometimes tgf 0.70 cannot update FLACfiles. Then it says: "Alison Moyet - Honey For The Bees  0000" (the 4 zeros being the playing time). I have no idea what is wrong with those files. TGF 0.70 says that the files are being used by another program (which is not the case) and therefore cannot be updated. If this bug could be fixed I would be a happy man. Recently I downloaded tgf 0.80, and this version doesn't have this problem. I can rename the files, but I cannot rename the FLAC/ID3 tags to capitals. I also want the FLAC/ID3 tag to update to "Alison Moyet - Honey For The Bees" with capitals. No problem, you would say, use tgf 0.80 to rename the files and tgf 0.70 to rename the ID3 tags. Well, I tried that but tgf 0.70 still cannot rename the FLAC/ID3 tags. I would like to know: is there a way in tgf 0.80 that I can update the ID3 tags to capitals?

Thank you for your attention and I hope you can help me. Bye, H Palmer.
Last edited by Tom Cat on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thrashed

Re: ID3 tag update

Post by thrashed »

Hey Bud, I had the same problem with FLAC files in v7.0. From what I could tell, the issue stems from having bad tags already within the FLAC files. I'm not sure how the tagging in FLAC works, but if the format is incorrect or they are corrupt, TGF gacks. Even trying to delete the tags using TGF didn't work. So, whenever I'd run accross a set of FLAC files that had time markers of 00:00, I'd run them through dbPowerAmp and have strip the tags out. Then when I'd open the files again in TGF, all I had was the file name so then I could use AMG to repopulate the tags with no problem. Hope this helps.

Tom Cat

Post by Tom Cat »

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try. But, much rather, I would like TGF to fix the job. I've been using it for some time now, and I like it very much. And when the FLACfiles are OK (and most FLACfiles are OK) TGF works great. But if there is no solution in TGF I'll try this. Thanks again.

Tom Cat

Post by Tom Cat »

Hi, you put me in the direction of dBpoweramp. In dBpoweramp there is a DSP called "ID tag processing". If you add that DSP to the cd to be ripped, and go to the settings there are 4 tabs. The third one is called "manipulations" and the first option there is "capitalisation". Here you can set the capitals and chose everything lowercase, everything uppercase, lowercase exept first letter (this is the one) and smart capitalisation (don't yet know the difference with the third one (haven't tried it yet)). The third option does exactly what I want for the ID3 tags and TGF 0.80 does what I want for the filenames, so I'm happy again. Maybe you should try it as well, if you want the same as me. Thanks for putting me in the direction of dBpoweramp. Bye.

Just tried the fourth option: a, the, in, etc. are all underscore.

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

FLAC files should not use ID3 tags TGF can remove them but not manipulate them, if that is the case.
If the FLAC fiels use the native tags then it should be fine with the latest version and all formatting options and taging works ok.
If you think you have one that bugs please send it to me so i can have a look.
Dimitris