Restructuring Takes Days with a VERY large Library

Main discussion forum
crazyjc6

Restructuring Takes Days with a VERY large Library

Post by crazyjc6 »

I'm trying to use The GodFather to restructure and clean up ad VERY large music library and I have a few questions.  First, how is there a typical rate at which the program should run over a particular number of files?  I have an Athlon 64 X2 4600+ with 4Gb ram and the program is literally taking days to run through the library.  Now as I said it is a huge library and it currently has lots of duplicates from days past that I am trying to clean up with The GodFather, so I am not surprised by it taking a long time, but when I go to bed and wake up the next day and it is still running I, this does surprise me.  My second question is, is there anyway to add some form of progress indicator to this part of the program?  Even a current file display would be helpful.  Currently the indication that I know the program has not frozen is that the memory and read I/O usage in Task Manager has continued to increase at a very slow but steady rate.  That said, if this program can pull off the task I have given it I will be very pleased with it because it IS a very difficult one.

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Restructuring Takes Days with a VERY large Library

Post by jtclipper »

I would need more info on that.
How many files in total and whats the parameters and structure and possibly the script used.
It might take a long time to actually build the tree and display it visually and you can end up using VM on your machine in extreme cases and that is very slow.
Dimitris

metalhead47

Re: Restructuring Takes Days with a VERY large Library

Post by metalhead47 »

I have upwards of 130 gigs of music, and I just did a complete tag update, rename, and restructure on my whole library. Usuallly MP3tag and the Godfather would process the 15000 files within a minute or two. Im running Win 7 on an Intel 2.1 ghz (Core 2 Duo I believe) with 4 GB ram (800 mhz) and all of the files are on an external hard drive (Western Digital MyBook 500 GB), which is connected via usb. The only time things got slow was when I was copying the files from my laptop hard drive to the external, but that is expected as USB is pretty slow for large file transfers. I was running like 26-28 MBPS over the USB.