Organize/restructure folders and subfolders

Main discussion forum
WickedEvilMojo

Organize/restructure folders and subfolders

Post by WickedEvilMojo »

A few requests, if possible, for Organize/Restructure:

1. Under "include other files" the ability to include subfolders also. Many of my album folders include a subfolder "Scans" that holds covers, booklets, etc. that gets left behind that I then have to move manually by sifting through folders (some now empty after the restructure) looking for leftovers. Which leads directly to asking for:

2. An option to remove empty folders after files are moved.

3. Presets for the Subfolder Details grid. I use multiple setups and being able to store them would be handy.

4. An option to set the Root Folder dynamically rather than explicitly (using file variables %F1%, %D1%, %U1%, etc.). I have multiple root folders (based on file type and whether they've been run through MusicBrainz or not) and having to remember to switch... well, let's just say it leaves alot of room for age-dependent "operator error" ;) . If this option is possible in addition to #3, the ability to define it per preset would be fantastic.

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Organize/restructure folders and subfolders

Post by jtclipper »

The option to remove empty folders was something I wanted to implement but somehow it got left behind so I will revisit and see what I can do
Presets are nice to have and they could include folder details and/or root folder, the ability to use variables is cumbersome because you need a file to extract those and it might prove tricky to pick a file at random? from (maybe) thousands upon restructure.

Subfolder inclusion is a bit of a headache and will need a major rewrite of the base code or it could be made simpler using some sort of logic to grab a folder that exists in the same level as the file (much like "include other files" using a literal name like "scans";"covers" etch) and moving it as a whole. If however those folders have any music files in them participating in the scan/restructure then you will end up will undesired results.

I will include suggestions 2-4 in my todo list and will think about number 1, those might end up in the current beta or the next version.

WickedEvilMojo

Post by WickedEvilMojo »

The simpler solution of using a logic control with literal names for subfolder inclusion sounds like a good one. Subfolders that need moving would almost certainly have a consistent naming convention and at the same time shouldn't contain music files. Of course, that probably assumes a sensible pre-existing folder structure that's just being tweaked... maybe including another literal name control for excluding certain subfolders? The only situation I can come up with off the top of my head that could possibly require that are albums with multiple discs, i.e. subfolders named CD1, CD2, etc., which would also tend to be named consistently, so a list of those would probably work well to avoid problems. After all, who would have identically named folders with different contents? ::)

Certainly, don't go to the trouble of a major code rewrite. The program is outstanding (I've been using it for years), and the fact that you're still actively developing it AND fielding suggestions from people like me who don't understand how much work a "tiny tweak" may involve is pretty rare these days. Party on, Wayne!

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

Uploaded a new beta including those additions to the Organize/restructure function.

Just a heads up for the folder inclusion
You will use the other files to specify those all you need to do is prefix them with a \ (e.g *.txt;\scans;\covers ) you can mix files and folders.
Those folders will need to reside on the base directory of the audio files and will not be scanned themselves for any kind of files, they will be copied as a whole regardless of content. Even in a move operation they will be copied first and removed afterwards, if they contain a large amount of files it might be a bit slow.

Always remember this is still in beta so don't use on your actual files without having a couple of test operations.