File rename under iTunes

Main discussion forum
Victor01

File rename under iTunes

Post by Victor01 »

Sorry for what is probably a Newbie question.

I want to rename my iTunes files so they don't follow iTunes' standards but my own so they display properly on other devices (simply as Artist - Songname). I'm happy with how Godfather proposes the rename based on my mp3 tags. Once I press "update" the files are accordingly renamed on disk also. However iTunes will then no longer find them unless manually pointed to one by one.

I thought Godfather would take care of updating the iTunes database - am I wrong or am I doing something wrong? (Windows 8 64 bit/ tried with iTunes 11 first and then updated to 12)

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Re: File rename under iTunes

Post by jtclipper »

TGF will just rename the files on Disk and/or update their tags it has no interaction with any other 3rd party database.
I guess that by renaming your files iTunes cannot find them, try using the rebuild/rescan or update command in that program.

Victor01

Post by Victor01 »

thank you for the fast reply. The post I had read (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-itunes ... c-windows/) led me to believe it did update iTunes. Ah well ;)

adneycandy

Post by adneycandy »

Once I press "update" the files are accordingly renamed on disk also. However iTunes will then no longer find them unless manually pointed to one by one.