compacting database

Main discussion forum
hopalongrock

compacting database

Post by hopalongrock »

I tried to use the library, created a volume, later removed it, and as I see the library now empty, I have no volumes, if I click anything on the left sidebar under Volumes, everything is empty.
In Maintenance I set all options and compacted the database, but its size now 585728 byte.
What is in it now ? Maybe I have to execute Tools/Remove ?

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Re: compacting database

Post by jtclipper »

If you selected another path for the database then there is a bug (that will be fixed) that compacts the default database and not the one really selected.
If you did not change the path then use tools/remove select zap and check everything, then go on and compact it

hopalongrock

Post by hopalongrock »

jtclipper wrote:If you selected another path for the database then there is a bug (that will be fixed) that compacts the default database and not the one really selected.
If you did not change the path then use tools/remove select zap and check everything, then go on and compact it
Path to database file in Options/Library is empty, I didn't changed it.
("Path" is empty in lib.ini too)

I did what you told (zap and compact), but nothing changed, at the end of compact tgf.mdb : 585 728 bytes -> 585 728 bytes

I did not expect much from this, because as I said, I have deleted the one volume I created and then compacted.

The size of tgf.mdb is identical in ver 086, in 071, 081 is similar, and in 071 the smallest - in all version after zap and compact.

Is it possible that this the size of the database, when it's empty ?

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

Yes the database file will always occupy a few hundreds of Kb of space.
It's basically the system tables and data ( database schema ), it might vary from version to version because of added/removed tables/fields/indexes and so on.

hopalongrock

Post by hopalongrock »

Thank you, I understand.