Question re beta status of v0.80

Main discussion forum
diggeryo

Question re beta status of v0.80

Post by diggeryo »

I noticed multiple warnings that since this new version of The Godfather is in beta, not to use it on original files and pretty much only test it.  I've also noticed that the non beta version listed is v0.70 ("this is version 0.70 from back in 2005").

However, the version I've been running for as long as I can remember is labeled "0.71 beta 2."

What concerns me about this is the following:

1.  If the latest version prior to v0.80-beta was v0.70, where did I get v0.71-b2?  Is it from the real software author, or do I have some type of illegitimate software on my computer, possibly even containing a virus.

2.  If, however, the v0.71-b2 I have on my computer is legit, would it then not be a good idea to upgrade to v0.80-beta as my everyday tag editor since I'm already using an older beta version?

I'd appreciate any input.

thanks,
mike.

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question re beta status of v0.80

Post by jtclipper »

Version 0.72beta was the very last attempt for a release but for various reasons it remained a beta and it did that for a really long time.It is legit but it uses a non standard way to embed cover art to ape tags

Many things have changed since back then and that�s the reason I decided to make a major upgrade to the program including support for all new features the various audio formats received over the years.
Just because of that and of course the new Unicode support I am reluctant to advice uses to just go on and tag 1000's of files.
It does work quite well for a beta and all of the files I checked till now behave ok, but it will remain flagged as a beta till everything checks out 100%
Dimitris

diggeryo

Re: Question re beta status of v0.80

Post by diggeryo »

Thank you for your reply, Dimitris.  I look forward to when TGF is no longer beta.  Thanka for all your hard work!!

mike.