Getting Featured Artists From Web Source

Main discussion forum
manicjonah

Getting Featured Artists From Web Source

Post by manicjonah »

http://www.allmusic.com/album/all-eyez- ... 0000183802

I'd like to be able to get the list of featured artists for each track when I fetch info from AllMusic. How can I modify the script to extract this information?

While we're on the subject of featured artists - I plan to use them somewhere in my tags but not in the track name. I also don't want the ARTIST tag to be mistakenly populated with the name of the primary artist and all of the featured artists as ONE artist. So, is there a better option for where to put the featured artists in the tag aside from creating an ARTIST tag for each of them (separating them in the Artist field)?

If I do create an ARTIST tag for all of them what separator can I use to tell The Godfather to recognize each artist separately?

Is it possible to configure the AllMusic script or another segment of the program to automatically create a separate ARTIST tag for each artist listed after "feat."?

Thanks for the help!

MJ

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Getting Featured Artists From Web Source

Post by jtclipper »

The problem here is not to modify the script but that you need the album artist field to do your procedure the way you described it and for the time being this field is not a standard field in the program's structure, It will be in the next major release

goofgoo

Post by goofgoo »

yes, that would be great if there would be the possibility to get featured artists from allmusic.com :)
Thank you!

manicjonah

Post by manicjonah »

I know it's been a while but I came back around to this issue recently and had another look at your reply jtclipper. Can you explain why the Album Artist tag is needed for what I suggested. I'm not sure which part of my original post that answer applied to.

AllMusic lists all of the track artists under "Performer" on the website. Getting all of the artists in the track should be a matter of separating each artist listed under "Performer" with a // or ; (not sure what you use) similar to how the program grabs "Composer", right?

Better yet, I'd like to be able to assign every artist listed after "feat" or "featuring" to Involved People. Or if the artists are all assigned to the Artist tag (maybe this is easier) a way to assign every artist except for the first artist (considered to be the primary artist) to Involved People. Is this something that can be done? How?

On another note, I recently noticed that TGF is listing the Album Artist twice, separated by a colon. I'm using the latest version of the software and have scrubbed the tags from my test albums. Can you help me sort out why?

And last, how do I go about getting only some of the Extra information? I want Styles but not Tones and Situations.

Thanks for helping me out. I really want to make TGF work and am really trying to fit it to my need but I'm having a hard time and I don't know a thing about scripting.

Thanks,

MJ

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

About the album artist field being listed twice go to options/tags and in the artist field option uncheck either value.
If you don't want specific extra information to be grabbed then open the script and comment the lines that are used to read those fields, its very easy and there are comments in the script before the line (starts at line 162).

As for the performer information I will think what can be done to accommodate a broader use of that field, I'm currently working on the next beta and have many things to work on but this is something that I will look into also.

manicjonah

Post by manicjonah »

I just saw that a new beta version was released and snuck a few minutes at work to take a look at it. I can't wait to get home tonight to really dig into it. Very excited. Really looking forward to seeing if some of what I need has been incorporated so I can finally settle on a tagger and tackle my music collection!

manicjonah

Post by manicjonah »

It doesn't look like including all artists in the artist tag is one of the improvements made in the new beta. Did I miss it?

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

On the online panel the first button on the toolbar there toggles on/off multiple artist passing, you can have it on at all times as well for normal albums as it will only add the albumartist tag to the file.

manicjonah

Post by manicjonah »

I'm making progress . . . slowly :D. I see with Various Artist Toggle that you mentioned that songs with a featured artist on AMG now include the featured artist's name in the Artist tag. The next question I have is how do I eliminate "feat.", "featured", "featuring" and add a separator between all of the artists' names?

Thanks,

MJ

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

At line 70 replace

Code: Select all

sPerformer := AnsiReplaceStr( on_cleanHTMLLine(slMain.Strings[iRow]), 'feat.', ' feat.' ); // Performer
with

sPerformer := AnsiReplaceStr( on_cleanHTMLLine(slMain.Strings[iRow]), 'feat.', ';' ); // Performer

manicjonah

Post by manicjonah »

A bit has changed since I first set out to use this software earlier this year. I find myself in the same place I was before but am not sure how to configure TGF 086 to do the following:

Add Album Artist for all tracks - with the Various Artist toggle on the Album Artist isn't filled. I added

on_setAlbumArtist ( sTmp );
to the "//artist,album,year,genre . . ." section of the #amg.sco but it doesn't work. My goal is to have the Album Artist = the Primary Performer whether it is a single artist or multi-artist track

Also, please tell me how to configure TGF so that all "featured" artists are added to the Involved People tag (divided by a separator). I don't want to see "Featured, Feat:, Featuring, etc." in the Title or Artist tags.

Thank you,

MJ

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

If I understand correctly, then by doing as described above will result in having different 'album artist' fields for the same album, the 'album artist' tag field is supposed to be the same for all tracks of the album and the 'artist' field can contain various values between tracks.

manicjonah

Post by manicjonah »

Oh no, that's not what I want at all. I want the Album Artist to be the same for all tracks. It should ALWAYS be filled in (whether I'm tagging an album by a single artist or various artists).

Aside from that I want all featured artists to be excluded from the Title and Artist tags but included in Involved People.

I gave the script a good look but I'm afraid I'm not equipped to configure the above. Can you help?

Thanks,

MJ

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

OK,

Please go to Options/Online and check 'use artist per track for various artists if possible', uncheck 'Keep artist in title..'
Now also make sure the first button of the Online panel's toolbar is checked 'Force this album to be parsed .....'

That should take care of album artist and clear the title from any artist information.

Now all that will remain is an artist tag field with the track artist followed possibly by various 'feat. <artist>', if we are fine so far then a separate script can be made after you apply and update your files that will enumerate/parse the files in the list and migrate all the 'feat. <artist>' text into to another field (Involved people in your case)