Tag FLAC and MP3 Album At Once

Main discussion forum
manicjonah

Tag FLAC and MP3 Album At Once

Post by manicjonah »

I ripped all of my CDs to FLAC and MP3 years ago. I want to re-tag them all and am interested in knowing if I can tag both copies (FLAC and MP3) at one time.

I'm new to the Godfather and not very familiar with it so please be detailed in your description of what I need to do.

Thanks,

MJ

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tag FLAC and MP3 Album At Once

Post by jtclipper »

Depends on what how you want to tag them, do you want for example to use an Online source?

manicjonah

Post by manicjonah »

Absolutely going to use an Online source, yes!

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

All you have to do then is use the format filter (directly under the folder tree).
Select .mp3 and update your files then select .flac and do the update again, you only need to retrieve the album info from the online source once.

manicjonah

Post by manicjonah »

Thanks for the reply. This is good news. One more question - my MP3's and FLAC ablums are in separate folders, will the filter still apply then? If not, will the online information hold while I switch folders (from Album A in MP3s to Album A in FLAC?)

Thanks again,

MJ

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

Yes the info grabbed from the online source will be there when you switch to the other folder

tristibiter

Post by tristibiter »

New member for second time... Hi everyone

So what happens if you have a bunch of albums (mp3 files) taged from AMG online, and want to copy all info to fresh ripped FLAC files (but not in online mode)?

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

You can use the Copy/paste tags functionality.

Select an mp3 file right click and select 'Copy tag' press F6 to switch to row mode highlight your FLAC files then click 'Paste tag', make sure to paste all fields except for track, title, composer and possibly artist.

For anything more complex scripts can be used to automate the process, based on the same filenames.

tristibiter

Post by tristibiter »

Thank you jtclipper. Is there a way for a batch selection of files to copy the tags and paste to FLAC files in the same order?
For example a list of 10 (mp3)files of a folder to exactly the same list of 10 (FLAC)files to another folder

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

That can be done with a script.
There are some conditions to be met though, for example the file names have to be exactly the same and a folder naming scheme needs to exist.

Let me know more details of your files/folders and I'll try to create a simple script to migrate your tags.

tristibiter

Post by tristibiter »

Ok I have this kind of structure of my files, for example: Artist's albums\D\David Bowie\1970 - The man who sold the world\01 - The Width of a Circle.mp3
(and of course all the tracks of the current album). I can re rip this album to FLAC format (or download it) and I can have the same order of the files to a new
folder called 1970 - The man who sold the world.
I've spend thousands of hours the last 5-6 years using your prog to have all my albums (about 25.000) grabed info from AMG but some of my mp3z are 128kbps and
I want to replace them with FLAC but not to do the job from the begging...
I'm using only Godfather because of the full tag info that no other prog can have and I'm from thessaloniki too...
Please If you can help, keep the good job, and looking forward to a new version with a player as your previous versions. Thanx

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

Can you have the exact same file names for example :
01 - The Width of a Circle.mp3
01 - The Width of a Circle.flac

Also it would be a lot easier if the files are in the same folder, if not then there must be a solid reference , for example :
for mp3's
Artist's albums\D\David Bowie\1970 - The man who sold the world\
for flac's
Artist's albums\D\David Bowie\1970 - The man who sold the world\flac

If those conditions are met then it could be done in batch for your files

This is a sample script that assumes that the flac files are in the same directory as the mp3 files

Code: Select all

program migrate;

var
  sNewFile: string;
begin
  if not tg_Init then exit; // no rows get out
  repeat
    tg_LoadFile;
    if LowerCase( gTag.FileExt ) = 'mp3' then begin //only mp3's
       sNewFile := ChangeFileExt( gTag.Filename, '.flac' );
       if FileExists( sNewFile ) then begin
          gTag.MigrateTags( sNewFile );
       end;
    end;
  until not tg_Skip;
end.

tristibiter

Post by tristibiter »

Thank you for your script. It does copy some of the tags but not all of them (picture, credits). Maybe I'll have to put all the files to the same folder and copy-paste tags from one file to another. Thanx again for your time

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

In my tests it copied everything, make sure you are using the latest version, if you do then I would like a pair of your files to check for myself.

tristibiter

Post by tristibiter »

ok the version is 0.81 beta3a. The steps are make a new script, copy your text, save it, check it, push the script button, then "apply" then "uptade". The filenames are the same. If you want a pair of my files tell me the way