Question concerning lyrics

Main discussion forum
MotRoUS

Question concerning lyrics

Post by MotRoUS »

I find that, occasionally, I'll go to remove a comment from the tag and it will place itself in the lyrics box. Then I go to delete it from the lyrics box, save, close, update, and it's still there.

If I replace it with something, then the original text is gone. Then when I go to erase what I had replaced the original with, the original text returns.

This is a problem I had with the previous version of The Godfather as well. Is the indestructible text located somewhere else in the music file? How do I get rid of it?

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question concerning lyrics

Post by jtclipper »

What type of files are you editing, mp3?
If yes then are you using the LYRICS field in the options?

If not then please describe the procedure exactly so i can check, because the Lyrics ield in the 'full tag edit' dialog is not attached to any other field and should behave like any other field.
Dimitris

MotRoUS

Post by MotRoUS »

I am editing mp3s, yes. Not sure if I had the same problem with any other file type because I didn't check. I'm not entirely certain what you mean when you say, "the LYRICS field in the options," but I'm using the "Full Tag Edit" dialog.

I can see where my original question can be a bit confusing. I'll try to be more clear this time, which means it will be wordy.

I'll have an mp3 song. In the comments tag is entered a name of some inconsequential person or website who had handled the music file. I go to remove it from the comment box, and it goes away as it should. However, occasionally, when I update the file the comment box remains blank but the text that was there has moved to they lyrics section. The file information turns white to let me know that the file has lyric information.

So I right-click the song and select "Full Tag Edit." I then click the Lyrics tab and see the text that was not originally in the Lyrics field, but was in the comments box that had since been deleted. I remove it either with the "Clear Lyrics" button or simply by deleting it, then click "Save & Close." Now when I click "Full Tag Edit" and go to the Lyrics tab, the pesky text is not there. However, the file text is still white, saying that it still has lyric information.

Now I imagine I'm doing something wrong at this point. The lyrics field is empty, but the white text is still there. So I hit "Update" in the Tag tab of the main window and, once that's finished, check the song by clicking "Full Tag Edit" once more. And there it is again, returned from the dead. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if it's the program. I imagine it's probably the former.

jtclipper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jtclipper »

There is an extended version of ID3v1 tags called LYRICS3 tags http://www.id3.org/Lyrics3v2
I have provided a sample .ini file with this beta release that tries to make automatic use of those tags when the fields are too small to fit in the original 30 characters specification of the ID3v1 fields.

Please go to the options Tags/ID3 and uncheck the 'Use LYRICS3 tag' option, more over you might want to select to just save ID3v2 tags and remove ID3v1 when saving files in case you don't really need ID3v1 tags (old software and hardware players read those)
Dimitris

MotRoUS

Post by MotRoUS »

I dunno. I did what you said and it still didn't work. I did both things (unchecked Lyrics3 and removed ID3v1) separately and then simultaneously.

It was odd, however, that in the last attempt (when I both had Lyrics3 unchecked and removed the ID3v1 tag) the display text turned black (which would tell me that there was no lyric information) but when I went back into "Full Tag Edit" it was still there.

I guess I'll just have to live with it. I'll eventually put in the lyrics anyway. It's not really an important thing, it just peeves me that a URL shows up instead of lyrics on my iPod. No biggie. Thanks for your help though. :D